Re: tlug: volunteers

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, A.Tomita,Jr. wrote:

> If 4) means doing basic majordomo list administration, like checking
> bounced mail and correcting e-mail addresses problems, I'd like to
> volunteer for the position.

This is what it means.  One thing we should look at it patching the
majordomo system so that it supports Japanese subject lines in the
digest table of contents.

We also need to move it to the main TLUG server, then it is all
yours.

This is what it is right now.  We're using majordomo@example.com
right now.  The tlug list contains one address that is
tlug@example.com

The tlug@example.com contains only one address, mine.  this is so
I can test it.  The notes are being archived on the TLUG server
and should be up to date.

One way to initiate the move is to transfer the tlug list of members
from lists.twics.com to tlug.  then, leave only one address on
tlug@example.com, the tlug@example.com address.  This is to
accept mail from people using the old address.  Then, alter the
config file of tlug@example.com so that it is a closed list
and no one can subscribe to it.  Or make it a moderated list, with
you as the moderator so that you can send the new person an e-mail
about the new list address.  Then change the reply-to field of
tlug@example.com to point back to tlug@example.com
Then, we can all announce the new list and start getting people to
use the new list.  Then, we need to beg Scott to back up the list
on tape.

Oh yea, we need to set one of your e-mail accounts as tlug-owner
in the majordomo.aliases file.

So the plan is:
  1) send anyone that is subscribing to tlug@example.com a notice
  2) have e-mail destined for tlug@example.com sent to
	tlug@example.com
  3) get everyone to publicize the new list.

The other things are taking care of bounced mail and bad addresses.

I've never had to use technical methods to moderate the list in
the 3-4 years it has been around and don't think it would be necessary
in the future.  Though, I've often thought about restricting posts only
to people on the list to limit the possibility of a spammer finding
the list.

Send me an e-mail and I'll give you the info you need to
set things up if you are interested.

Regards,
Craig

----
Personal: craigoda@example.com  http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda
soon to be:  craigoda@example.com
Business: TWICS - tel 03-3351-5977  e-mail craig@example.com

Next Nomikai: 15 May Fri, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
a word from the sponsor: