tlug: How to mount Samba stuff in Linux

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> means I run Samba so I can print, and so they can see my computer on the
> network and access it (still need to find out what to do so that I can see
> theirs and access them).  It also means running under Windows when I need to

You need to have an account on their machines, and you need to be on the
same workgroup.  To mount a share, here's an example:

Win95 machine name: satan
Share name : hell

mkdir /mnt/hell
smbmount //satan/hell /mnt/hell

(note - do NOT use backslashes - use forward slashes).

you may optionally need:

-c clientname

(if your hostname, ie, armadillo.pht.co.jp, is too long to be a samba host
name.  I have to use '-c armadillo').

-U username

(if you're mounting it as root, for example - without -U it mounts it as
whatever user you're logged in as, and most 95 boxes don't have a 'root'
user).

-P password

(specify the pw on the commandline.  Without this, it'll just ask you for
it).

If you need to find out what shares a host has, do:

smbclient -L host

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: