Re: tlug: Perl 5 kickstart

On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> If you're starting from the ground up, why use Perl?  It's full of
> wonderful hacks, both simple and arcane, but it's not easy to write
> readable modular programs in.  Tcl is popular, especially because it
> has nice X binding in Tk (for making quick & dirty GUIs), but the

So does perl - I've done just about all the graphical config tools for
TurboLinux using perl/Tk.  I like it a lot.  Tcl does have some nice
points, too.  I suppose it's a matter of preference.

> prettiest IMO is Python, which also has a nice X binding.  For the
> anally recursive, there's always scsh (Scheme-shell)!

Python is a more 'elegant' language, IMHO, as opposed to a 'practical'
language like Perl (or even tcl)... you can make prettier code with it,
but... there's more modules/etc for tcl or perl.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: