Re: tlug: Perl 5 kickstart

> Does anyone know offhand a quick-and-dirty guide to Perl 5? I have
> some work that needs to be done with it, but haven't done any actual
> scripting myself (yet...). I don't have scads of time to read a lot
> of manuals, just hoping to get some basics reasonably quickly for
> now. Thanks!
Perl 5 and Perl 4 are pretty much alike. In fact, Perl 5 has
simply extensions to Perl 4.

There are O'Reilly books on Perl programming. However they are
somewhat chaotic and contain a number of errors and thus are not
exactly easy for a beginner.

As a general rule, do not allow yourself an unclean programming
style. In Perl the saying "shortcuts make long delays" is often
very true.

Scoping and data passing into objects are another point where
Perl differs from most other languages. So watch out with that.

The best (and most error free) literature of perl are its
manpages. They are very well done and deserve to be printed out.
Actually, they are a lot better than the O'Reilly books.

                             Karl-Max Wagner
                             karlmax@example.com
a word from the sponsor: