Re: tlug: Office suite for use under Linux

On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Totoro wrote:

> On 16 Apr 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:
>
> > I recently moved from London to an academic post in Nagoya.  I
> > have been using Mule/Emacs and JTeX/JLaTeX under Linux quite
> > comfortably for several years, but the nature of my work and the
> > intensity with which I use Japanese has now changed, and I need a
> > Japanese-capable Suite of Office Productivity Tools to make my
> > life complete.
>
> I haven't tried Applix, so can't comment on it's abilities wrt
> importing Word/Excel files. It seems to be rather difficult to
> do this reliably from any of the Linux apps out there to date,
> from what I've read on mailing lists and usenet.

Currently, Applixware-J does NOT import *any* other formats.  We're
working on getting some GOOD filters (the one in the regular ver. of
Applixware are somewhat broken...) in there before the official release of
Applixware-J.  Even so, I've used this thing, and it's a great office
suite, PLUS, the Japanese input actually works, which makes this pretty
much your only Japanese office solution under Linux at this point...

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: