Re: tlug: Office suite for use under Linux

On 16 Apr 1998, Frank Bennett wrote:

> I recently moved from London to an academic post in Nagoya.  I
> have been using Mule/Emacs and JTeX/JLaTeX under Linux quite
> comfortably for several years, but the nature of my work and the
> intensity with which I use Japanese has now changed, and I need a
> Japanese-capable Suite of Office Productivity Tools to make my
> life complete.

I haven't tried Applix, so can't comment on it's abilities wrt
importing Word/Excel files. It seems to be rather difficult to
do this reliably from any of the Linux apps out there to date,
from what I've read on mailing lists and usenet.

One option is a Mac emulator (the name escapes me). It's a
commercial package, and you can run Mac versions of Office
under that, presumably. This could get hairy, running a MS
emulation of Office on a Mac emulator, et alia...  :-) I
have no working knowledge of this setup, but did read that
folks have done something along these lines.

The academics in Japan have not even heard of postscript; the
vendors prop everyone up with Office and Ichitaro. I hate to
say it, but you'll be much easier off if you can just borrow
a Windows machine once in awhile, or use the often liberal
"research" funds to get one for yourself (of course the main
partition would be for Linux!). Just make sure you get the
proper anti-virus protection, as lots of folks here don't
and infections are wide-spread.

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki