Re: tlug: was email software --> UNICODE input

    CO> 	What would constitute a "Unicode Input Method" -- as
    CO> opposed to a collection of separate input methods by
    CO> language/script?

    CO> 	Obviously, you'd want the ability to do raw-hex input,
    CO> although this wouldn't be as much value to endusers.

Yes, the ability to input Unicode code points directly would be the
absolute minimum for any general "Unicode Input Method".

    CO> You could also put up a char-chart (by language/script/or code
    CO> point) and have the user click, but that wouldn't be an
    CO> efficient way to type either.

A GUI alternative to direct raw-hex input, yes. It would be nice if
these two 'when-all-else-fails' methods were available _along with_
any script/language-specific IM that was chosen.

    CO> Handwriting recognition would be an interesting (but
           difficult) possibility.

I agree, on both counts.

    CO> 	I supposed the only possibility of "unifying" input
    CO> would have to be by the physical appearance of the glpyh --
    CO> since anything pronunciation-based would be
    CO> language-specific, and require a certain language base for
    CO> every language used.  Plus there's a number of
    CO> non-pronounceable characters.

Coming up with something like this for kanji has been one of my pet,
albeit mostly-neglected, projects for many years, started before
Unicode came on the scene. I've based my work (Did you say _work_
Beavis?!)  directly on the studies of Professor Peter A. Boodberg,
founder of the Oriental Languages Dept. at UC Berkeley. Most
importantly, I already have the moniker, _the_ quintessential element
in any computer-related project. I call it CHA for Chinese Hemigram
Annotation. I wanted a name that would be immediately recognizable in
Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, and maybe in English now too.  I wanted
something that could represent ANY kanji (hanzi, hanja), including
even newly invented kanji. I wanted it to accurately reflect the
Chinese graph with zero loss of information. I wanted to be able to
write it easily by using Plain Jane US ASCII characters alone. I
wanted to design it so that it could be deciphered without the aid of
a computer, if necessary.  Finally, I wanted it also to be useful as a
pedagogic device for learning kanji. Needless to say, there have been
many a permutation in attempts to achieve these goals. Anyway, if
there is an interest in the current state of (ugh! hurl!) this grand
scheme, I can expound. (Not a Linux-related subject, I will respect
hints, subtle or otherwise, to drop it from this list:)

    CO> 	Does anyone have any good ideas?  Or is the localized
    CO> approach the ideal, and the idea of a common input method
    CO> simply counterproductive?

In theory, my pet, the above-mentioned CHA, when fully developed,
would provide a way to enter any kanji, including kanji outside of the
Unicode Han repertoire. Unfortunately, even if this unlikely event
occurred that still leaves out all the other scripts. So, at this
point I'm inclined to say, yes, a common input method for Unicode is
not in the cards.

The ability to easily select from a list of script-specific or
language-specific input methods which, in toto, provide access to all
the characters in Unicode is probably the most productive approach
now. If these input methods were chosen, modified or designed with the
idea that they would all appear together in one list in one app, at
least differences in input method UI could be minimized.  This alone
would make them more attractive to new users. (But maybe not to old
users who are already addicted to a particular approach.)

Jon

--
Jon Babcock <jon@example.com>

PS. Thanks Stephen Turnbull and NIIBE Yutaka for your very helpful
info. I am still trying to assimilate it and to incorporate Canna with
FSF Emacs. More later. Thanks again.

a word from the sponsor: