Re: tlug: recommendable email software]

>>>>> "me" == Stephen J Turnbull <turnbull@example.com> writes:
>>>>> "NIIBE" == NIIBE Yutaka <gniibe@example.com> writes:

    NIIBE> The mapping of integer to character can be
    NIIBE> defined by _users_ as they like it.  In other words, we

    me> That will take development of a lot of auxiliary tools,
    me> though; with all the resources of Microsoft etc behind it,
    me> Unicode is just now getting decent fonts.  So users will be
    me> dependent on existing fonts, and you'll have to build smart
    me> tools to handle multi-byte fonts.  As far as I know, there
    me> really isn't a good input method for Unicode (as a
    me> multi-lingual system---of course for any given national
    me> language you can use a localized version with table-driven
    me> conversion).

    me> This is very ambitious.

I just want to add that I understand that Niibe-san is not talking
about using Unicode himself; I am pointing to the amount of resources
behind Unicode and the lack of tools for it even now, and saying that
I think that the much more general approach Niibe-san is advocating
will also require a lot of work; perhaps more than implementing
Unicode tools.

But we'll see how it works out; the time-table is also quite
ambitious, a prototype text-handling layer with Mule built on top of
it---in 6 months.  Wow!

a word from the sponsor: