Re: tlug: An ethernet card that I am not able to configure -- NetBSD & Linux

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Martos-Riano wrote:

> The whole thing is that I am not able to configure the ne2000  Ethernet card.
>
> the make menuconfig includes (not with a M of module but with a * of inclusion)
> the three modules needed for having the ethernet card running, the Ethernet
> module, the ne2000 module, and a third module for internetworking (the ones I
> was told on saturday).
>
> After compiling the kernel and booting with it, I can check again that dmesg
> doesn't display any message regarding an eth0 or anything similar.
>
> Suggestions?

Build it as a module.  Then it's easy to specify commandline options to it
w/o having to reboot.  ISA ne2000 cards *always* need commandline options
with Linux.  build it as a module, boot, then do:

modprobe ne io=0x300

and see if that works.  Try other IOs until you get the right one.  Valid
ranges are 0x280-0x340, in steps of 0x020.

> Another question. I am allowed to install Linux in a computer where FreeBSD is
> already running. I have to do a partition, I will search fips now and see if it
> also works with FreeBSD HD. If it doesn't, the only option I see is to format,
> partition, and install both systems. Other options?
>
> By the way, can anyone tell me any interesting site with information about
> FreeBSD and Linux interaction.
>
> Thank you very much again,
>

> dm

> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: