Re: tlug: emacs 20.2

From: "Andrew S. Howell" <andy@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: emacs 20.2
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 1998 18:52:22 +0900

andy> >>>>> "craigoda" == craigoda  <craigoda@example.com> writes:
andy>
andy>     craigoda> Hi, I'm still getting core dumps with emacs20.2.  This
andy>     craigoda> is getting rather interesting since I have two accounts,
andy>     craigoda> one is called craig and the other is called craigoda.
andy>     craigoda> emacs20.2 works under the craig account, but not under
andy>     craigoda> the craigoda account.  My .Xresources and .emacs files
andy>     craigoda> are set the same.

andy> The only thing that I can think of is LANG. Is it set different
andy> between them? I had a problem like this on Solaris 2.5.1 with CDE. If
andy> LANG was not set to some legal values, I was getting core dumps...

You were absolutely right.  When I was trying to isolate the problem,
I commented out the LANG setting in my .bash_profile in my craigoda
account.  I'm now using mew with GNU Emacs20.2 under my craigoda account.
This is pretty wild that it core dumps when the LANG
env variable is unset.

andy>     craigoda> craigoda_@example.com:~$ kterm Couldn't set locale:
andy>     craigoda> ja_JP.eucJP,ja_JP.ujis,ja_JP.EUC,japanese.euc,Japanese-EUC,ja,japan
andy>
andy> I get the same message. I recompiled X to use X's locale
andy> support. kterm still does not work. I tried to recompile it, but I'm
andy> getting loads of errors...

After I applied the wcsmbs patches to glibc6, I'm still getting
the errors above.  However, kterm has always worked for me.
I have not tried to recompile it yet.

What kind of problem are you getting with kterm?  Is it a font problem?

andy> I thought that X locales and glibc's where separate. Thats why I went
andy> to the trouble of re0compiling X, because from what I understand,
andy> glibc does not yet support Japanese. More to the point, there aren't
andy> any locales for Japanese under /usr/share/locale. Are these available
andy> with the jrpm release? If so, can your point me at 'em?

In my earlier e-mail, I mentioned the wcsmbs patches to glibc6.
There is a 500K doc that I also installed.  There was mention
of recompiling glibc with

        configure --enable-add-ons=...,localedata ...

  -- begin readme from libc6 doc

  This add-on package contains the data needed to build the locale data
  files to use the internationalization features of the GNU libc.

  POSIX.2 describes the `localedef' utility which is part of the GNU libc.
  You need this program to "compile" the locale description in a form
  suitable for fast access by the GNU libc functions.  Any compilation is
  based on a given character set.

  To use these data files you should add the name of this add-on
  (localedata) to the list of add-on you specify while compiling the GNU
  libc:

  -- end readme from libc6 doc.

Also, I still can't input Japanese into Emacs20.2 with XIM....
I have made some progress.  I really want to give GTk a try
with Japanese input....   When I get some free time.  ;-)
Think I'll go sleep early tonight.

Regards,
Craig

a word from the sponsor: