tlug: preliminary April 11 meeting notes

Hi,
this is a preliminary description of the awesome April 11 TLUG meeting.

Joe Marchak, Ken Harada, and Craig Oda, (three of the infamous
gang of five TLUG officers) hopped up and down in front
of the meeting room to kick off this grand event.  Ken gave an
amazingly good simultaneous translation session.  The bilingual
meeting was an enormous success.

The big things people were there for were Pizza, Linux, and Linux-Netscape.
Shigeo Honda led a genki task-force to collate and order the proper
number of pizzas.  This came out to 1,000 yen per person.  Shigeo
volunteered to be the TLUG Snackmaster for the next meeting.  We're
discussing ways to integrate this position into the core TLUG direction
setting team.   Joe Marchak proposed the formula of
z = (x / 2 * y + d1) / y   or (define z (/ (+ (* (/ x 2) y) d1) y))
where

  z  = price of lunch that each TLUGer must pay
  y  = number of people eating lunch
  x  = average price per large pizza
  d1 = total price of oolong cha and soda

The large pizza prices ranged from around 2,600 to 3,600 per pizza.
I recommend putting a cap of 3,000 yen per pizza and aiming for a
average of 2,800 yen per pizza.  This would entail ordering an equal
number of 2,600 yen and 3,000 yen pizzas.  This gives about 200 yen
per person for soft-drinks.  If we buy those 2 liter bottles of
oolong-cha, it should be enough.  So, the proposal for the next
pizza-fest is to pay 1,500 yen per person for lunch.  For this,
each person gets allocated approximately
(+ (* 0.5 large-pizza) (* 2 cups-soft-drink))
  --  half a large pizza and a couple cups of soft drinks

If we solicit menu suggestions before the meeting, the only variable
we have to calculate at the meeting is the number of people.  With
this, it should be okay.    I think my man Shigeo's e-mail
is shige@example.com and I'm going to try to coordinate with him
before the next meeting.   I hope I got his name correct.  By the
time I started to keep track of things, the beer was flowing.

Netscape
--------
Tague Griffith gave a tremendous talk to a full house of people.
Some things I picked up:
   UI with motif, lesstif, and GTk at a minimum.  Regardless of the
     religious feelings on UI, these three would happen at a minimum

   mozilla.org is a seperate group from Netscape.  It is intended that
   Netscape become another Mozilla distribution, in the same way that
   RedHat is another Linux distribution.  The mozilla.org group is
   intended to function as the benevolent dictator that Linus works
   as for the Linux kernel.

Tague gave out three source code CDs and dozens of Netscape pens.

The slides of the talk are in the TLUG library.  Tague is going to
release the slides on the net.

Linux
-----
The meeting room was hot, filled with computers and people.  Joe and I
stopped counting after we found out that over 65 TLUG members were jammed
into the meeting room in the basement of HSBC.   There was a large
showing of JLUG people including Daisuke Sato (densuke@example.com),
core member of the
jrpm project, and Chikasaka-san (chisaka@example.com), both of who
agreed to help setup the TLUG server, though both were drunk at the time
they agreed to do the work.   These two lads also
gave a nice demonstration of the Japanese input using the GTk graphical
widget set.  I immediately went home and compiled it with the
following:
cow:~/apps/gtk+-0.99.10$ ./configure  --enable-xim --with-locale=ja_JP --host=i586-linux-gnu

Chikasaka-san is also going to tell me how I can patch the majordomo
digest to have it support Japanese subject lines.  :-)

The Metzler brothers showed their video driver.

jrpm now has a binary distribution of the Xlib with proper locale support.

Applixware-J
------------
Applixware Japanese is out in Beta and is functional.  Cliff Miller,
president of Pacific HiTech, developers of TurboLinux, distributed
three copies of Applixware-J beta for testing.  If you received
a beta test copy, please send in a beta tester report.

There was a nice demonstration of Applixware-J.

JLUG
----
We're proposing a minimum of 10,000 yen donation to JLUG using money
collected at the meeting.  The first round of money goes toward the
purchase of a SCSI disk for the TLUG server.  Left over money is
being sent to JLUG.

JTLUG
-----
Chisaka-san really wanted to encourage people to join jtlug.

  send e-mail to majordomo@example.com
  and include

     subscribe jtlug
     end

in the body of the message.

  jlug-tlug

One goal, two languages, this might be the simple explanation why
TLUG is seperate and independent from JLUG.  In order to facilitate
cooperation, we have formed the jtlug, where English or Japanese
are appropriate.

     TLUG                   JTLUG               JLUG
  primarily English      mixed Japanese      primarily Japanese
  Japanese welcome        and English
  open to Japanese

Clarification of TLUG
---------------------
TLUG is totally independent of JLUG and has independent meetings
and an independent structure.  Membership is free and open to
anyone.  TLUG is non-profit, non-political, and independent of
any educational or business organization.   TLUG is a loose,
100 percent volunteer organization.  Volunteers are
always welcome...   hint, hint, hint.    ;-)

----
temporary:  craigoda@example.com       http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craig
soon to be:  craigoda@example.com
business: TWICS - tel 03-3351-5977  e-mail craig@example.com