tlug: How to compile Netscape5.0 on RedHat5.0

masatomo@example.com writes:
 >  At last I downloaded Netscape5.0 source code for Unix. I tried to compile
 > it on RedHat. I've found that it cannot be compiled on 2.1.* kernels. So
 > I switched the kernel from 2.1.91 to 2.0.33.

Weired...  I don't think it depends on kernel much.  In short, it's
not kernel issue usually.  At least, 2.1.91 works for me to compile
and run Mozilla.  Are you sure that it is kernel which causes the
failure?

 > Next error message was lack of 'Xm/Xm.h'. I suppose this shows lack
 > of 'Motif'. I don't have 'Motif'.  I wonder somebody has already
 > found out a method to compile Netscape 5.0 without Motif.

Read document?

You need Motif definitely (at least for current version of Mozilla).
Yes, Motif clone called Lesstif is available (see http://www.lesstif.org).
With lesstif it compiles OK, but it's not solid enough.  YMMV.

Thanks,
--
NIIBE Yutaka
a word from the sponsor: