RE: tlug: Samba progress . . . but

-----Original Message-----
差出人 : Scott Stone <sstone@example.com>

>from the smb.conf(5) manpage:
>
>       Services may be guest services, in which case no  password
>       is  required  to access them. A specified guest account is
>       used to define access privileges in this case.

>You really should do a 'man smb.conf', and read it, too :)

Oh, I did. That's where I got a lot of the information that has it working
as well as it does now.  The problem is that if Samba were behaving like I
think it should (that is, like the Microsoft network it's supposed to be
mimicking here), it wouldn't be asking for authentication in this situation.
It would just let people right in, no typing a password, no typing an ID,
nothing.  That's the whole point of a publicly accessible directory, is it
not?  Maybe Samba talks to Microsoft networks but isn't a complete
work-alike, in which case I may just have to put up with this.  But I'll
keep smashing my head on it for a while longer :-)

Jonathan