RE: tlug: buying Linux/UNIX/Internetworking related books in Tokyo

-----Original Message-----
差出人 : Martos-Riano <martos@example.com>

>Can someone tell me where I can find basic books of Linux (The Bible,
etc...)
>and some more other related to UNIX & Internetworking in Tokyo? Since I
cannot

You'll probably find the best selection at T-Zone's large store in
Akihabara, T-Zone Minami.  To get there, you can either go to JR Akihabara
station and to out the Akihabara Electric Town or go to Suehirocho Station
on the Ginza Line.  From JR Akihabara, exit the ticket wickets then go to
your left out what you could call the backside of that exit (that is, the
side away from the ticket vending machines) and proceed up that street
toward the large main street.  You will be walking in the same direction you
were going out the ticket wickets.  When you get to the main street (several
lanes in each direction), to right.  Don't go cross the street.  T-Zone is a
few hundred meters down on that side of the street.  The book section is on
the first floor.

If you pass Yamagiwa, you're going in the right direction, just keep going.
If you get to the entrance to Suehirocho station (Ginza Line) you passed it.
Go back, but not as far as Yamagiwa :-)

>I am looking forward to join TLUG on saturday, around 14:30, I guess, at
Joe's
>place. I'll bring a lot of sutpid questions since I don't succeed in the
basic
>installation of Linux...I am still sending this from a Communicator&W95.

There are no stupid questions.  The learning curve for Linux or any other
kind of UNIX is both long and steep, especially coming from a
point-and-click background.  After slugging away at it for months, I'm only
recently starting to feel a bit comfortable with it, and I still use Windows
for most things, especially when I'm working in Japanese.  Japanese input
and Japanese applications are a couple of areas where not just Linux, but
every flavor of UNIX, still has a lot of catching up to do compared with
<insert commercial desktop OS here>, but that is changing.

I also found getting a succesful Linux install and getting it configured to
where it worked well enough to use all the time to be a great hurdle.  If
you're still struggling, I would recommend trying Pacific HiTech's
TurboLinux.  The install procedure is very good and handles plug and play
cards nicely.  The support is also very good - I bet any other Linux vendor
would have told me to go away and play on the freeway by now :-)  PHT also
seems to have a very aggressive development schedule for TurboLinux, so the
newest, coolest stuff comes out quickly.  They just released 1.4J a month or
so ago and are about to release the first beta version of the next upgrade
already.

My first Linux was TurboLinux, but I then installed Red Hat because I knew
nothing at all about UNIX and needed a bigger manual.  The a couple months
ago I went back to Turbo Linux and I thought "Wow, now that I have a little
bit of an idea of what I'm doing, I can see that this actually is nicer than
Red Hat," so I've been with it ever since.

Looking forward to seeing you at the meeting!

Jonathan