Re: tlug: mew subject width

    Craig> Andy, thanks for your tip.  I eventually got it working by
    Craig> editing my .im/Config file.

    Craig> I have this in my ~/.im/Config: Form=%+5n %m%d %-14A %-40S
    Craig> %b # default format for scanning

I should have thought if looking at that. I vaguely knew there was an
im config file, but forgot about it...

    Craig> That is pretty cool about passing the im argument to mew.
    Craig> How did you figure that out?

Well, I used MH before, which is what mew was written to replace. I
knew that in MH there was a "scan" program, that scanned your mail,
sending a summary to stdout. From there I looked at mew-scan.el, found
what looked like the right function, and discovered the
mew-prog-imls-arg-list, and a reference to imls. imls --help showed me
what I need to setup.

Now, having done all that, and saying that I got it working, I've
decided that I must have been on drugs at the time, 'cause its not
working any more. I guess I'll edit my ~/.im/Config file :)

    Craig> Mew is getting to be a pretty complex system.  Do you use
    Craig> it as your mail mailer?  I'm still switching between Pine
    Craig> for business use and Mew for TLUG stuff.  One thing I did
    Craig> notice is that the im Config file had something about IMAP
    Craig> support.  Have you tried this out yet?  Is it a relatively
    Craig> full implementation like the IMAP implementation found in
    Craig> Pine or is it a limited implementation like that found in
    Craig> fetchmail?  I find the IMAP file management functions of
    Craig> Pine to be very helpful.

No, I have not tried IMAP yet. It been on to-do list for a _long_
time. :(

    Craig> One reason that mew is seductive to me is that I can use
    Craig> edict.el on Japanese for both reading and writing.  I think
    Craig> that the 40 character subject line width might be enough. I
    Craig> think that the first few words of the body might actually
    Craig> be useful.

I tried to get edict to work. But never had any luck. I can't remember
what the problem was. I think there may be something funny about the
way mew maps keys in emacs...

    Craig> Now I have to figure out what to do about filtering those
    Craig> dozens of linux-users e-mail messages per day into a
    Craig> sub-folder.

I use procmail, but I have never used it for Japanese mail. It works
fine on ascii headers.

Andy
a word from the sponsor: