tlug: Setting up Samba

Having dug through piles of Samba documentation and examined samba.conf for
clues, I still find myself pretty far from enlightenment and just wanting to
do a few simple things that will bring my computer at work much closer to my
goal of being able to run it under Linux all the time and only occasionally
boot it into Windows.

Those simple things are:

1) Make the computer visible as a node on our office LAN;
2) Make two of it's directories visible: public-upload (unrestricted
read-write) and public-download (unrestricted read, write only by me or
root) that are on my Windows 95 partition that is being mounted under Linux;
3) Be able to use the printer which is attached to the NT server machine on
our LAN.

I've got the feeling that if I can do 1, then 2 and 3 will be easy, but I'm
not sure what I need to do to make it show up on our LAN.  The SMB daemon is
started at boot and is running, so I know that part is at least working, but
Samba is proving a bit challenging to figure out.  Can somebody who is
familiar with it point me to a doc file that will tell me clearly what I
need to do to accomplish these things, and/or tell me what I need to put in
samba.conf to make it do them?

Of course, if a graphical front-end similar in function to the network
control panel in Windows is available for Samba, I'd be most interested in
knowing where to download it :-)

TIA,

Jonathan