RE: tlug: Xwrapper (was Xwrapper and "and Cathedral and Bazaar"

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, David Dibben wrote:

> > I'm hoping to find a way to start X from the shell prompt without logging in
> > as root, but I'm still kind of new at this stuff.  If Scott's reading the
> > mail this morning, maybe he'll bring the PHT cavalry over the hill and save
> > us :-)
>
> On my system the X server has its sticky bet set:
>
> % ls -l  /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3
>  -rws--x--x   1 root     users     2372006 Aug  5  1997 /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3
>
> This can be done with a command like (as root)
>
>  chmod u+s /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_S3
>
> This means that an ordinary user can run X but it the permissions of root.
> Since this was the way the system got set up when I installed it (I haven't
> changed anything)  I assume that this is the normal way things are done.
>
> David

prior to XFree86 3.3.2, that's the way they were done.  3.3.2 doesn't want
you to do it that way, though, since setuid X servers can be security
risks.  You're supposed to run X with a secure wrapper like xdm.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: