Re: tlug: help on notebook purchase

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, D.A. Walter wrote:

> Is there anybody out there using Linux on a Toshiba Libretto or Fujitsu
> Biblo (A5 size)? Both are selling at T-Zone (Kobe) for 99,800 yen. I
> plan to buy one of them. Which do you think would have less problems
> installing Linux?
>
> Is there anybody using Linux on one of them now?

Libretto WARNING:

Older Librettos use a Trident video chipset, which WILL work with Linux.
Newer ones use a NeoMagic chipset, which will NOT (unless you purchase Xi
Graphics' Accelerated X for Notebooks, which is about $250 USD - I'm not
sure if MetroX supports it or not...).  In fact, MOST notebooks being sold
in Japan nowadays use this chipset, so read the specs carefully and make
sure that you're buying one that does NOT use the NeoMagic.  Sharp
notebooks, I  know, do not.  Fujitsu, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony all do.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: