Re: tlug: problems on kernel daemon

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Rafael Coninck Teigao wrote:

> Hi, I'm using Red Hat 5.0 with kernel 2.0.33 and I found an interesting
> thing about it:
>     -When I was using a later kernel, on boot it would initialize my
> ethernet NE2000, but this ain't working this way anymore;
>     -I compiled my kernel with ethernet built into it, not as a module;
>     -I compiled my CD-ROM Sony CDU31A as a module;
>     -The kernel daemon shows this:
>             eth0    cdu31a
>         So, it is booting my CD-ROM as a description of an ethernet
> card. The CD is working anyway!
>     -When I try to change this daemon to :
>             cdrom  cdu31a
>         it works while I'm with the kernel daemon configuration window
> opened, by the moment I close
>         it, it returns to that old configuration;
>     -I can't make my ethernet run, neither as a module, nor a built in
> kernel function!

Go into /etc/conf.modules (as root, manually, with a text editor), and
make sure that the line:

alias cdrom cdu31a

is in there.  If there's an options line for cdu31a, make sure that's
AFTER the above line.  It would be in the form:

options cdu31a cdu31a=0x230,0,

or something like that.

Now, about the ethernet card, if it's built into the kernel, kerneld has
nothing to say about it either way.  If it's a PCI NE2000, then you either
have a bad card, an unseated card, or an IRQ conflict.  If it's an isa
card, you need to specify options to it.  I'm not exactly sure how to do
that for the ne2000 driver from the lilo prompt, though.  It *might* be
'ne=0x300' ...

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: