tlug: Compiling Japanese Pine

I keep getting braver.  Or is that nervier?  :-)  Anyway, after my
succesful first-ever compile of XFMail yesterday (well, it gets a locale
not supported message at startup, but it works, at least in English), I
decided to be really brave and try compiling Pine 3.96 with the Japanese
patch.  Well, everything wasn't exactly the way the README said it would
be, but I applied the patch, seemingly succesfully.

Then I was at that moment of truth where the README says "type make."
So I did.  So it told me to use build + the code for the system I was
compiling it for instead.  So I typed build lnx, and it hits me with the
wonderful news that it can't open lnx.s.  After running a find from / I
found that there (apparently - I'm still a beginner at Linux) no files
ending in .s anywhere on the system.  If this is to be believed, not
just the Linux file but the ones for all of the systems it can be
compiled for are missing.  Can anybody give me at least the one for
Linux?  I imagine they must not be in the tar.gz files, or they should
be there, right?

Somewhere in a message a found using Glimpse on the TLUG server (what a
great tool that is!) it said that Chris Sekiya (I think) had made a
pre-built binary of JPine.  Is that still available?  If I can't get it
done any other way, I might have to take one off the rack.

I've got to admit that while on one hand it's a nuisance, on the other
hand the "compile your own" approach is kind of fun.  All of my
struggles and occasional successes with Linux have lately started
reminding of taking computers apart and putting them back together and
flogging DOS and trying out Desqview back in the days when a 286-12,
overclocked to 16 MHz, and packing a whole megabyte of RAM and a
whopping 40 meg Seagate ST-251-0, topped off with a Paradise VGA card
with 256K was considered a pretty good machine.

Thanks for any ideas,

Jonathan