Re: tlug: Kinput2 error

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> I get the following error on starting Kinput2, on a freshly booted system
> (TurboLinux 1.4J): Warning: ccWnn object can't connect to Jserver.
>
> Japanese input doesn't work at all, not even in a Kterm window.  I can
> activated Japanese input mode, but can't produce anything, not even kana.
> Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but I believe TL-J starts Canna at boot
> up, so it should be there.

I'm on Debian 1.3 now and don't have access to my TL-J machine right now.
TLJ starts up Wnn6 by default.  Wnn6 has a similar function to Wnn4 and
Canna.  So, I don't think that Canna is started at boot.

Kinput2 is the front end processor to Wnn.  I'm not sure if it is started
by default. The mule with TL-J1.4 is compiled with libwnn, so mule is
talking directly to the conversion engine, Wnn6 (Jserver).

Make sure that kinput2 is on the system and that it is running

Maybe something like:
  $ ps -ax |grep kinput2

You may want to force startup with
  kinput2 -wnn &

Also, make sure that kterm is using the open input protocol.
My .Xresources

kterm*IMProtocol:
kterm*inputMethod: kinput2
kterm*openIm: true

After you add this to your .Xresources, do

  $ xrdb ~/.Xresources

The last line is a boolean flag that sets the default behavior of
kterm to accept open input.

Regards,
CRaig

----