Re: tlug: Re: tlug.linux.or.jp

> In $NAMEDROOT/boot.zones, we'd add the zone file
> by adding the line
>
> -8<----
> primary tlug.linux.or.jp db.tlug.linux.or.jp
> -8<----
Gotcha ! This is BIND 4 style. However, the current version is
BIND 8 and they changed this file: before it was called
named.boot or the like, now it's called named.config. The
syntax changed as well. Here, as an example, is what I use on my
machine here:

options {
        directory "/etc";
};

zone "." in {
        type hint;
        file "root.cache";
};

zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};

Before, it looked like this:

;
;    boot file for name server
;
directory /etc

; type     domain                source host/file
backup file

directory /etc

; type     domain                source host/file          backup file
cache       .                                               root.cache
primary    0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA                             named.local

As you can see, I just use the named to look up addresses
outside my machine. The reason why I do that is twofold:

1. I can easily use as many nameservers as I want in cascade (if
one is lame, the next knows the answer - you wouldn't believe
how many lamers are out there)

2. It caches - thus repeated accesses are a lot faster

3. I like running my own nameserver - just for the fun of it.

Actually, I learned the hard way - when I installed Slackware
3.4 the nameserver refused to work. I then started reading the
docs, which are a bit scanty and foud a tool to convert the old
named.boot file into the new named.conf file. However, now named
complained about syntax errors in syslog. I then compared the
new file with the docs, figured out how the new system works,
corrected the named.conf file and.....it worked. It is much
faster than the old one.

Actually, the new syntax is more readable than the old one -
they should change the rest of the files in the same way.

Hope I didn't scare even more people now - just wanted to
mention it because now a few more people are gonna bump into
BIND 8.......

                            Karl-Max Wagner
                            karlmax@example.com
a word from the sponsor: