nkf [was: RE: tlug: RE: cathedral and bazaar Japanese]

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> >just ran it through nkf (new kanji filter) on my Linux box and
> >it appears fine on my Linux version of Communicator 4.04 now.
>
> What does NKF do?

I should have said  (network kanji filter)

It converts Japanese encoding between shiftjis, JIS, and EUC.

from the manpage:

       Nkf  is a yet another kanji code converter among networks,
       hosts and terminals.  It converts input kanji code to des
       ignated  kanji  code such as 7-bit JIS, MS-kanji (shifted-
       JIS) or EUC.

       One of the most unique facicility of nkf is the  guess  of
       the  input kanji code.  It currently recognizes 7-bit JIS,
       MS-kanji (shifted-JIS) and  EUC.   So  users  needn't  the
       input kanji code specification.

       By  default  X0201  kana is converted into X0208 kana. For
       X0201 kana, SO/SI, SSO and ESC-(-I methods are  supported.
       For automatic code detection, nkf assumes no X0201 kana in
       MS-Kanji. To accept X0201 in MS-Kanji, use -X, -x or -S.

----
temporary:  craigoda@example.com       http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craig
soon to be:  craigoda@example.com
business: TWICS - tel 03-3351-5977  e-mail craig@example.com