RE: tlug: HotJava on Linux

-----Original Message-----

7ol : Craig Oda <craigoda@example.com>
z : 1998N329z 15:37
< : Re: tlug: HotJava on Linux

>I'll see if I can get HotJava1.1 running and let you know if I do.

Cool, thanks!  When you tried getting 1.1 to work, did you have JDK 1.1.4 or
higher?  They say in the README for HotJava 1.1.2 that while it should work
(knock on wood) with other JDK 1.1 versions, they recommend 1.1.4 or higher.
TurboLinux 1.4J has JDK 1.1.5 (release 3? - I'm on a Windows machine right
now and can't check, but it was released just before 1.4J I think).

HotJava is slower than Netscape on Windows (my colleague says it runs pretty
good under Solaris - I wonder why :-)   ) and does suck RAM, but the Linux
version of Netscape sucks a few things too, so I thought I'd just try out
HotJava  and see how it goes.  On Windows 95, it's awful.  The screen
refresh can't keep up with even moderately paced scrolling, so the page
you're viewing flashes into and out of existence.  I've duplicated that on
two different machines, one with a Pentium 90 and the other a Pentium 166.
I'll have to try it on my K6 and see how that goes.  Somebody told me it
doesn't flash like that under NT, but then, his home computer is a dual
Pentium machine with 192 meg of EDO on it.   Now he's increasing it to 256
meg.   I could've sworn somebody said 192 meg ought to be enough for anybody
:-)

Jonathan

a word from the sponsor: