Re: tlug: Kinput2, canna, kterm and locales

    Andrew> Now I'm wondering if the problem isn't that the version of X11 I'm
    Andrew> using. Its XFree86 3.3.1, straight off the RH CD. I tried to install
    Andrew> the 3.3.2, but had all sorts of unresolved symbols, so I restored the
    Andrew> tar of /usr/X11R6 that I'd taken before the install. Both versions
    Andrew> though, seem to rely on glibc's setlocal, as it is undefined in all
    Andrew> the libs under X11/lib

Sorry for talking to myself here, but I found a few more pieces of the
puzzle that might help other out. After searching the web some more, I
came across a page by some guy named Craig :)

http://www.twics.co.jp/~craig/linux-nihongo/web/

He has a tar file there that that includes a small file called
locale.c, which is then compiled to make liblocale.so. All this does
is redirect calls to setlocale to XsetLocale, so that X's locale
functions are used instead of glibc's. The trick to make this work is
to define:

export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
export LD_PRELOAD="/some-path/liblocale.so:/lib/libc.so.6"

before running the app. I think this should work for kterm, but my X
libs don't define XsetLocale, so I guess I'll have to compile up
X. That should keep me busy :)

Andy
a word from the sponsor: