Re: tlug: Kinput2, canna, kterm and locales

On Sat, 28 Mar 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

> I'm trying to get Kinput2, canna, kterm to work under RH 5.0, but I'm
> not meeting with much success. I think part of the problem is I don't
> have Japanese locales installed, but I'm not sure where to get them...
>
> I can start up canna and kinput2 ok, but when I fire up kterm, I get:
>
> kterm
> locale not supported by C library, locale unchanged
> Warning: Actions not found: begin-conversion
> Couldn't set locale:
> ja_JP.eucJP,ja_JP.ujis,ja_JP.EUC,japanese.euc,Japanese-EUC,ja,japan
> Warning: Actions not found: begin-conversion
> Warning: Actions not found: begin-conversion
>
> This is with LANG set to ja_JP.eucJP. If it is set to C, then I dont
> get the "locale not supported by C library". I'm guessing that the
> glibc supports locales, but I missing the Japanese ones. I'm running
> glibc-2.0.7-4. ( soon to be glibc-2.0.7-5 )

interesting, maybe your glibc wasn't compiled with the intl support... I
don't recall having to do anything special to libc5, though, and I don't
get any locale errors with it.  Something to watch out for with TurboLinux
1.9beta, I suppose.

> As for Kterm, its:
> kterm: version 6.2.0
>          [KTERM_KINPUT2] [KTERM_COLOR] [KTERM_NOTEK] [STATUSLINE]
> [KEEPALIVE]
>
> What about X's support of locales? I seem to remember that this was
> how locales were supported in the past, that libc used X's locale
> support...
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> 	Andy
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: