Re: tlug: cvs

    >>  Sorry, I should have said that, "andy" is the user. Its the
    >> unix user under which files will be checked in and out. The
    >> repository itself can (should ?) be owned by some other user,
    >> say cvsadmin. CVS just uses Unix file permissioning, so the
    >> users that will use CVS will need to have read/write permission
    >> to the repository.

    Scott> what if more than one person will be checking stuff out?

You've hit upon the reason for CVS, ie, "Concurrent". While RCS/CVS
etc rely on locking a file when you want to edit it, CVS does not lock
the file until you check it in, and then only briefly. At this point
there are two possibilities, either no else has checked in any changes
in the interim, in which case you changes are checked in, or someone
else has checked in the same file, in which case CVS will force you to
update your file with their changes, resolve any conflicts, and then
you can continue to check in you file.

Personally, I like this model much better. Just because someone
checked out a file and went on vacation, does not stop you from
continuing on with your work. When that person returns, they may have
to merge in you changes, but CVS takes care of a lot it
automatically.

Andy

a word from the sponsor: