RE: tlug: Mounting my W95 partition

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> [...]

1.  Add the disk.  Let's assume you added a new IDE hd as the slave on the
secondary ide controller, making it /dev/hdd.

2.  do 'fdisk /dev/hdd' - create a Linux partition (no swap).  Assume you
created /dev/hdd1 as a new Linux ext2 partition.

3.  mke2fs -c /dev/hdd1
	This will create the filesystem.  Take out the -c if you don't
want a bad block check (the check is kind of slow)

4.  mkdir /mnt/d  (or whatever)

5.  add a line in fstab:

/dev/hdd1	/mnt/d	ext2	defaults	1 2

The numbers '1 2' mean:

The first one means to include the system in an FS dump.  Which you
usually won't do, but 1 is what you usually put :)

the second one is the fsck order.  Your root drive should have this set to
1, all others should be higher (you can have some the same - ie, if you
have two extra HD partitions on /mnt/d and /mnt/e, you could set them both
to 2, which would make them fsck simultaneously, which is nice on a system
with lots of drives).

Then,

6.  mount /mnt/d  (or just reboot...)

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: