Re: tlug: tiger script FAIL w/ pop2

>     Jim> On Mon, Mar 23, 1998 at 10:15:35PM +0900, Jim Schweizer
>     Jim> wrote:
>     >> # Checking services from /etc/services.  --FAIL-- [inet003f]
>     >> The port for service pop-2 is assigned to service pop2.
>
>     Jim> I'm only guessing... but it may be because of the
>     Jim> inconsistency of /etc/services (which refers to the service
>     Jim> as pop-2) and /etc/inetd.conf (which calls it pop2 in your
>     Jim> quoted example).
>
> Caveat:  I don't know the internals of the tiger script.
>
> However, the primary name of each service should be the one that is
> registered with the IANA.  You can put variants in as aliases if
> you're dependent on it.
>
> I think the main thing is that any unknown service down in privileged
> land is possibly a hole, because only root is supposed to use those
> ports; if somebody finds there way in there it could be bad....
That tiger stuff is REAL GOOD I guess.....it saved you a lot of
work ! Apparently in your inetd.conf and in your services file
the writing of pop2 is different: pop-2 in one and pop2 in the
other. Replace that pop-2 thingy by pop2 and everything is OK.
tiger apparently checks all options - even those that are
commented out. Good !!!! This saves you a few headaches in case
you activate a new service. I once had this kind of problem with
pop3 - had pop-3 in inetd.conf and pop3 in services. The
conseqience was that I couldn't connect to the pop3 port. It
took me quite some time to find that out - I had some machines
which worked and others that didn't - GRRR !!!!! Due to some
obscure reason those that didn't pop had the above problems. I
didn't know about tiger at the time.

Here a short explanation what those files are good for:

inetd is the Internet - superserver. It listens on all ports
given to it in inetd.conf and starts the appropriate service as
soon as a call is received on a port ( the name of the
corresponding service daemon is also given in inetd.conf ). This
eliminates the need to run all those service daemons all the
time and thus saves computing time. However, these ports are
given by their name. The services file is a translation list
translating the service names into their respective socket port
numbers. So the names in both files have to correspond - or nogo !

BTW, all services that run directly ( like sendmail and innd )
have to be _commented out_ in inetd.conf or inetd competes for
those ports with the directly running service daemons - which
ensues normally in the service daemon dying immediately (some
years ago we had that problem with innd and it took us quite a
bit of time to figure out why). So watch out !

Hope that helps.

                                  Karl-Max Wagner
                                  karlmax@example.com
a word from the sponsor: