tlug: UPS again.

Hello,

I am asking about UPS once again.

     I obtained apc BkPro. I downloaded the daemon, apcupsd-2.9.6.tar.gz
from Sunsite as I was suggested by Scott.

     I extracted the file for my slackware and eventually I got files such
as,

     /sbin/apcupsd -----------------------daemon
     /sbin/powersc
     /etc/apcupsd.conf--------------------default
     /etc/apcupsd.status
     /var/lock
           and a new rc.d

Now, I read the README file and got hopelessly confused. It would be better
not to have read it at all. hahaha.

Anyway, I fixed the hardware.

        BkPro(input power cable)<--------------------->power
             (serial cable)<-------------------------->PC serial
             (output)<---------------------------------PC power cable.

In spite of the confusing README file, things seemed to go on beautifully.
I wrote the simplest ever script for shutdown under /sbin and indicated
so in apcupsd.conf and rebooted the machine. ps ax showed the daemon,
apcupsd all right. And the next thing was rather frightening. I turned
off the main power switch of the computer room. In a sec(maybe a hundredth
of a sec), BkPro started working, giving a warning message, a broadcasting
message to teriminals, 'Walk Away', and repeated this again and again
and seemed to be enjoying this. And even after ten minutes, there was
no clear sign of shutdown!!! at all. It was funny, actualy I was
bemused watching this.

     Dear Scot, or anyone out there, give me a clue. or give me a
/etc/apcupsd.conf if you don't mind. Seems like my .conf isn't working.

Mine is,

#
# "apcupsd" POSIX config file
#

#
# CONTROL <string>
#
CONTROL /sbin/powersc

#
# UPSCABLE [ simple | smart | 940-0020B | 940-0023A |
#            940-0024B | 940-0024C | 940-0095A |
#            940-0095C | ether ]
#
UPSCABLE 940-0095A

#
# UPSTYPE [ backups | sharebasic | netups | backupspro |
#           smartvsups | smartups | matrixups | sharesmart ]
#
#UPSTYPE smartups
UPSTYPE backupspro

#
# UPSCLASS [ standalone | shareslave | sharemaster |
#            netslave | netmaster ]
#
UPSCLASS standalone

#
# UPSMODE [ disable | share | net | sharenet ]
#
UPSMODE disable

#
#DEVICE <string> /dev/<serial port>
#
DEVICE /dev/ttyS0

#
#LOCKFILE <path to lockfile>
#
LOCKFILE /var/lock

#
# ANNOY <int> <30> <0> disables
#
ANNOY 30

#
# DELAY <int> <60> <0> disables
#
DELAY 60

#
# PROCFS <int> <120> <0> disables
#        <rate update procfs-type file of current status>
#
PROCFS 10

#
# LOGGING <int> <500> <0> disables
#         <rate update log file of current status>
#
LOGGING 30

#
# TIMEOUT <time is seconds to run on UPS, powerfails>
#
TIMEOUT 0

#
# BATTERYLEVEL <precent of battery charge for shutdown> 10
#
BATTERYLEVEL 10

#
# BATTCMD <string>
#
#BATTCMD

#
# TIMECMD <string>
#
#TIMECMD
TIMECMD /sbin/shutdown.sh
#
# LOADCMD <string>
#
#LOADCMD

#
# PWRCMD <string>
#
#PWRCMD
PWRCMD /sbin/shutdown.sh <------------I wrote an idiot simple shudown
                                      script,
                                      !# /bin/sh
                                      sync
                                      sync
                                      sync
                                      /sbin/shutdown now -h
#
# RETCMD <string>
#
#RETCMD

#
# NETTIME <int>
#
#NETTIME 100

#
# NETPORT <int>
#
#NETPORT 6666

#
# MASTER <string>
#
#MASTER

#
# SLAVE <string>
#
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
#SLAVE
Thanks very much in advance.
       Actually I couldn't wait until the system shutdowned.
It was way longer than ten minutes I guess. I couldn't keep
my Tonto and Silver waiting so long ya know.