Re: tlug: tiger script FAIL w/ pop2

    Jim> On Mon, Mar 23, 1998 at 10:15:35PM +0900, Jim Schweizer
    Jim> wrote:
    >> # Checking services from /etc/services.  --FAIL-- [inet003f]
    >> The port for service pop-2 is assigned to service pop2.

    Jim> I'm only guessing... but it may be because of the
    Jim> inconsistency of /etc/services (which refers to the service
    Jim> as pop-2) and /etc/inetd.conf (which calls it pop2 in your
    Jim> quoted example).

Caveat:  I don't know the internals of the tiger script.

However, the primary name of each service should be the one that is
registered with the IANA.  You can put variants in as aliases if
you're dependent on it.

I think the main thing is that any unknown service down in privileged
land is possibly a hole, because only root is supposed to use those
ports; if somebody finds there way in there it could be bad....

a word from the sponsor: