RE: tlug: X resolution / color depth

    Scott> On Mon, 23 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> Debian on the other hand uses shell and Perl scripts.  Not that
    >> they're necessarily easier, but the skills are more widespread.

    Scott> rpm is 'basically' shell script.  ie, the directives given
    Scott> in the %prep, setup, %build, %install sections are the same
    Scott> as bash script.

There are differences among /bin/sh, /bin/bash, and especially
/bin/csh as to how scripts can be written.  A script that begins
"#! /bin/sh" has announced what language it handles.

    >> I've also found the quality of Debian contribs to be generally
    >> higher than RPMs, possibly because Debian makes a big deal of
    >> the "Debian Policy,"

    Scott> rpms all put their documentation into
    Scott> /usr/doc/(packagename)

What is the packagename for the meta-documentation, like FSSTND?

Under Debian, you can find the documentation for RPM under
/usr/doc/rpm (if you've installed the "alien" package).  (Note, not
under /usr/doc/rpm-2.9.43127890, which I find to be a pain in the
butt.)  And you can find FSSTND under /usr/doc/debian-policy/fsstnd.
Where is it on Red Hat?
a word from the sponsor: