tlug: [Q] majordomo approval commands

    Craig> As the tlug-owner is an alias to my account, I can post the
    Craig> message with the Approved: password command and override
    Craig> the parsing command.

    Craig> Is there a common way I can do this so that the message
    Craig> appears that it is from the original sender, and not from

For a sufficiently smart MUA (Pine probably won't do, although it may
have a "bounce" or "resend" (_not_ forward) function), put a "From:
<original sender>" in the mail headers.  Otherwise, save the mail to a
file with the "From:" header and use a command like:

		       sendmail -t <bounce-mail

You can also hide your own identity (Sender: header) with -f, but I
think that will cause the mail to bounce from majordomo.

You may also be able to sneak past sendmail by simply tacking
appropriate "Resent-*" headers on the front.  I'm not up on how that
works.

    Craig> me?  I read in the O'Reilly "Managing Internet and
    Craig> Information Systems" book that I can create my own mail
    Craig> header and force sendmail to take it instead of my mail
    Craig> header.  I tried it and it didn't work.  However, maybe I
    Craig> did something wrong?

Many MUAs will munge that header.  MTAs like sendmail in general do
not change the From header; users are specifically allowed (RFCs 822,
1123) to set that header.  But if it is present the MTA is encouraged
to specify a Sender header.  It's a weak form of authentication.
a word from the sponsor: