Re: tlug: What are your favorite video cards for Linux?

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Rob Bickel wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Scott Stone wrote:
>
> > The STB Velocity 128 or Diamond Viper V330 (the Riva128 cards) are what
> > I'd pick (I did, actually).  I can get you the Diamond card for $139, it
> > comes with 4MB ram, it doesn't need 8mb (the Riva chip is optimized for
> > 4mb, no more, no less - 8mb would be wasteful overkill, according to
> > nVidia).  Fastest 2D card in the world, among the top 10 in 3D, and it
> > does hardware mpeg at something like 50-60fps in 1152x900 full screen on
> > my K6-200.
>
> Scott, does your video card share an IRQ with anything else.  Mine does
> and I have yet to get it working correctly with Xfree86.  I am now using
> the old Suse driver, because that at least allows me to use X, but without
> fully taking advantage of the card's speed.  I have tried upgrading to
> the new Xfree 3.3.2 (?? the newest) and never got it to work.  I had seen
> lots of talk about this card in various news groups about the fact that if
> it shares an IRQ, then you are out of luck.  That is my case.
>
> So I guess my question is does your card share an IRQ, and if it does
> what is the exact specifications of your X set-up.

I'm still using the Suse server at home.  I'll try it with XFree... I
remember it was trying to share an IRQ, but then I disabled the USB stuff
and now it has its own...

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: