RE: tlug: X resolution / color depth

On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Jonathan Byrne--3Web wrote:

> [...]

not perfectly.  If your LANG isn't unset or set to C, it will segfault
every once in a while (but only after it's done what it needs to do :) )

> to go, automatically, and takes it out again the same way.  You can use
> Glint to see what's installed on your system and to give you a brief
> explanation of what each package is and tell you where it is. When you
> install a Linux distribution and it dumps a whole ton of software onto your
> system, this is a valuable tool for finding out what's there.  It also does
> a really nice job of handling dependencies.  Generally, the
> install/uninstall facility of Windows 95 is pretty good, but it does have
> some rough edges.  RPM is a totally superior product, my only complaint
> being that installing a package doesn't put it in a menu anywhere, and it
> looks like PHT is working on that.   Any distribution that doesn't use RPM
> or an equivalent package management system that has the same functions and
> is as good or better is behind the times and isn't going in the direction
> Linux needs to go if we want to bring it out of the techie closet and put it
> on a lot of desktops.
>
> That doesn't mean you *can't* do things the old fashioned way with tar.gz,
> but once a package is out of the testing stage and released, why anyone
> would want to is beyond me.
>
> Is there some other package manager you prefer to RPM?  If so, I'd like to
> hear more about it.  I'd also be interested in hearing what it is about RPM
> that makes you hate it.

One other neat thing you can do is 'rpm2cpio'.  If you just want one file
or something out of an RPM and don't want to install it, you do:

rpm2cpio < pkg.i386.rpm > pkg.cpio
cpio -diI pkg.cpio

and then you can just get the file(s) you want from it.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: