RE: tlug: X resolution / color depth

-----Original Message-----
$B:9=P?M(B : Marcus Metzler <mocm@example.com>
$B08@example.com(B : tlug@example.com <tlug@example.com>
$BF|;~(B : 1998$BG/(B3$B7n(B20$BF|(B 9:49
$B7oL>(B : RE: tlug: X resolution / color depth

>a typ III PCMCIA harddisk which can be read by linux. As to video
telephony,
>there is a guy who wrote an application for the bttv driver I am going to
>show you  at the next meeting. My brother told me that he saw  a program
>using Tcl/Tk to make a videophone connection. I`ll have to ask him where
>to get it. If you don`t want to have a picture there`s a program called
>nautilus,

This sounds very promising.  What other telephony software can they talk to?
Right now, I use Vocaltec's Internet Phone.

>What`s so good about RPM. I hate it.

Hmm, let's see.  It works perfectly.  It puts everything where it's supposed
to go, automatically, and takes it out again the same way.  You can use
Glint to see what's installed on your system and to give you a brief
explanation of what each package is and tell you where it is. When you
install a Linux distribution and it dumps a whole ton of software onto your
system, this is a valuable tool for finding out what's there.  It also does
a really nice job of handling dependencies.  Generally, the
install/uninstall facility of Windows 95 is pretty good, but it does have
some rough edges.  RPM is a totally superior product, my only complaint
being that installing a package doesn't put it in a menu anywhere, and it
looks like PHT is working on that.   Any distribution that doesn't use RPM
or an equivalent package management system that has the same functions and
is as good or better is behind the times and isn't going in the direction
Linux needs to go if we want to bring it out of the techie closet and put it
on a lot of desktops.

That doesn't mean you *can't* do things the old fashioned way with tar.gz,
but once a package is out of the testing stage and released, why anyone
would want to is beyond me.

Is there some other package manager you prefer to RPM?  If so, I'd like to
hear more about it.  I'd also be interested in hearing what it is about RPM
that makes you hate it.

Jonathan