RE: tlug: X resolution / color depth

 > The reason I still use Windows so much is because there is a whole raft of
 > things I can do under Windows that are either done poorly or not at all
 > under Linux.  Granted, a lot of that comes in the area of applications that
 > aren't there and hardware I can't use, like my LPT video camera.  The main
 > issue with me that's proper to Linux itself is the poor level of support for
 > Japanese.    If I were only working in English, it would be fine.  That
 > would still leave my camera, but I suppose I could sell it and get a Quick
 > Cam.  And then there's my digital camera.  I'm not aware of even one digital
 > camera that software exists for to download its pictures into Linux
 > (somebody tell me if you know of any for FujiFilm digital cameras!), and the
 > lack of Internet telephony software.
There are programs for several digital cameras. The Casio QV series, all
cameras that use PCMCIA adapters and I think there`s also one for the Olympus
serial connector. Then theres is the Hitachi mpeg video camera that uses
a typ III PCMCIA harddisk which can be read by linux. As to video telephony,
there is a guy who wrote an application for the bttv driver I am going to
show you  at the next meeting. My brother told me that he saw  a program
using Tcl/Tk to make a videophone connection. I`ll have to ask him where
to get it. If you don`t want to have a picture there`s a program called
nautilus, which you can use to make internet phone connections. I use
it to talk with my brother in Germany and it works fine.
If you are interested in more information about frame grabbers,
just look at:
http://atlantek.com.au/USERS/wes/linux/frame.html

 > Multimedia is another area where a lot of progress needs to be made.
Sure, but they are on their way. The major problem is to get hardware
information to write the drivers. Some companies are so fixated on windoze
they won`t tell you anything and refer you to there fine windoze DLL`s.
 > Everybody likes consistency.  And of course, I'd like to see them all adopt
 > RPM.  Not holding my breath on Slackware :-)
What`s so good about RPM. I hate it.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
Department of Physics