Re: tlug: XIM

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Totoro> I find it works just fine. If you want to use Japanese in,
>     Totoro> say, GNUS, then you need to install apel, mel and semi (in
>     Totoro> that order). The docs say that you probably don't need
>     Totoro> them since they are part of XEmacs, but I find that it
>     Totoro> works more cleanly to do this.
>
> The reason is that if you install them separately they infest your
> entire installation.  TM and SEMI are responsible for about 20% of the
> posts to VM-info and every once in a while they show up on the
> developers' list too.  The distributed versions are tamed so that they
> don't exhibit such bad behavior.  But they also don't work as
> advertised in that case.

Actually, I can't say all this about 20.4, as I didn't try it out
with the included lisp files; I cheated and went right to the
tarball apel, mel and semi. I'm not sure why TM is still hanging
around, since semi was written to replace it, but then I suppose
a lot of folks are still running older emacsen, too.

> They're like Microsoft products:  when they work, they're slick.  When
> they break down, they hose your whole system and usually in a way that
> makes you blame something else.  XEmacs policy is to ship LISP
> packages that allow other packages to work as advertised.

Good policy! When I get back here next month, I'll take a new
look at all this (off to Florida: sunny beaches and Disney
World, tomorrow...).

> By the way, if your distribution has a favorite place for Canna
> development files (besides /usr/local - then you're on your own),
> please let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting autoconfig
> to detect them.

Being lazy about it, and not informing the package maintainers, I've
just been doing this little manual fix. What the rpm does is put
the extra include files into /usr/include/canna/include, where the
config doesn't find them. Kinda strange to do that, but it's not
that hard to make a link...

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki