Re: tlug: XIM

    Totoro> I find it works just fine. If you want to use Japanese in,
    Totoro> say, GNUS, then you need to install apel, mel and semi (in
    Totoro> that order). The docs say that you probably don't need
    Totoro> them since they are part of XEmacs, but I find that it
    Totoro> works more cleanly to do this.

The reason is that if you install them separately they infest your
entire installation.  TM and SEMI are responsible for about 20% of the
posts to VM-info and every once in a while they show up on the
developers' list too.  The distributed versions are tamed so that they
don't exhibit such bad behavior.  But they also don't work as
advertised in that case.

They're like Microsoft products:  when they work, they're slick.  When
they break down, they hose your whole system and usually in a way that
makes you blame something else.  XEmacs policy is to ship LISP
packages that allow other packages to work as advertised.

By the way, if your distribution has a favorite place for Canna
development files (besides /usr/local - then you're on your own),
please let me know and I'll see what I can do about getting autoconfig
to detect them.

a word from the sponsor: