Re: tlug: SCSI Server Card

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
>
> > Can we be a little more specific?
>
> Sure.  Do _not_ run AIC controllers with Quantum Fireball or Quantum
> Tempest drives.  Moreover, do _not_ do heavy transfers across the SCSI bus
> (i.e., copy a VCD to a hard drive that resides on the same bus).

done it (not with Quantum drives, though) many times - transferring CD
images from my HP 6020i to a 4GB SCSI hard disk, both on the external
chain of a 2940.  On a K5-75 machine, no less.

> > Like, what goes wrong?  How often?  Is it recoverable without buying
> > new hardware?  Etc, etc---inquiring minds want to know.
>
> Locks machine up hard.  Possibly fixed by turning off one of the
> performance options in the AIC driver ... I'd have to do a little digging
> to give you precise information.

I have *never* had a 2940 lock up on me unless there was a bad sector on
the hard drive or something went very south on the 2940 and it had to be
replaced (I had one 2940 go bad - Adaptec, unfortunately, claims that if
the ctrl-A menu works, the card isn't bad... but, the card is definitely
bad :) ).  I've burned all of PHT's CDs made in the last 2 years under
Linux using an HP burner on an AHA-2940 card.  I have all my servers but
one running a 2940 with SCSI disks (finally got all the Quantums out of
there - anyone ever heard of a Quantum Grand Prix?  They don't make them
anymore due to reliability problems, to which I can attest.)

i've never run a 2.1.x kernel though, so all my experiences are based on
1.2.x, 1.3.x, and 2.0.x kernels.

> > It would be nice if the folks who have experience with large flocks of
> > boxes would give us the benefit of it and let us know what has and
> > hasn't worked for them (and how many boxes they're talking about for
> > statistical verity).
>
> Yep.  Maybe a TLUG-sponsored "good hardware/bad hardware" web page ...
> (no, I'm not volunteering to maintain it -- I'm _very_ overextended as it
> is)
>
> --	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April Sat, Tokyo Station Yaesu gate 12:30
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: