Re: tlug: SCSI Server Card

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Can we be a little more specific?

Sure.  Do _not_ run AIC controllers with Quantum Fireball or Quantum
Tempest drives.  Moreover, do _not_ do heavy transfers across the SCSI bus
(i.e., copy a VCD to a hard drive that resides on the same bus).

> Like, what goes wrong?  How often?  Is it recoverable without buying
> new hardware?  Etc, etc---inquiring minds want to know.

Locks machine up hard.  Possibly fixed by turning off one of the
performance options in the AIC driver ... I'd have to do a little digging
to give you precise information.

> It would be nice if the folks who have experience with large flocks of
> boxes would give us the benefit of it and let us know what has and
> hasn't worked for them (and how many boxes they're talking about for
> statistical verity).

Yep.  Maybe a TLUG-sponsored "good hardware/bad hardware" web page ...
(no, I'm not volunteering to maintain it -- I'm _very_ overextended as it
is)

--	Chris (wileyc@example.com)

a word from the sponsor: