Re: tlug: Intel Pentium-II

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Scott Stone wrote:

> Just timed an app compile, as a contest between a K6-200 (with 12 people
> logged in and running pine and/or emacs) and a P2-300 running nothing else
> except X and a couple Xterms.  Pretty much identical compile times.  If
> anything the K6 linked the binary faster.

I poked around at Cyberian this afternoon. They mention that the Intel
P2/MMX has a bus speed of 66MHz. As my older P5's are the same, I guess
Andy hasn't figured out how to really make the machine any faster, so
they just make higher clocks and try to wow everyone with nothing.

Cyrix, OTOH, has what Cyberian lists as 75/188MHz bus speed. Looks like
the secondary clocking that Apple used to do. Don't know how well it
actually speeds things up, though.

FWIW,

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology