tlug: X resolution / color depth

Question time again:

   So.... if I know I've got an appropriate monitor, and enough
video RAM, how can I force my X server to run at a given resolution
(e.g. 1024x768) and at a given color depth?  I've looked through
what relevant documentation I could find, but came up with nothing.

I know about the (nandakke) ctrl-alt-<+/-> thing, but I'm not
exactly sure what's happening when I do that.  In any case, even
when I do that, the only one that "looks right" (i.e. fills up the
screen and isn't warped) is the 1280x1024 at (I think) 8bpp that
is my usual default.

Once again, yoroshiku...

Dave
a word from the sponsor: