Re: tlug: Now on TL-J 1.4

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:

>     Jonathan> tool.  At boot, I can also see this message: modprobe:
>     Jonathan> can't locate module eth0.  Does that mean the module is
>     Jonathan> missing from the new kernel?
>
> Did you do a "make modules" and "make modules_install" ?

irrelevant with TurboLinux, he's upgrading via kernel RPMs, not by
recompiling.  It seems that the system in question didn't get the 2.0.33
modules RPM installed correctly (although I don't see how, it forces the
install of that package... never had a problem on my test machines here..
hmm..), and I told him how to fix that problem.. so it should clear up all
the module issues.

> What happens if you you a "modprobe eth0" ?
>
> Take a look at /etc/conf.modules:
>
> /etc/conf.modules
> alias scsi_hostadapter ncr53c8xx
> alias eth0 eepro100
> alias eth1 3c503
> options eth1 io=0x300 irq=9
>
> This is how modprobe maps the "eth0" to a particular module. In my
> case, eepro100 for eth0 and 3c503 for eth1
>
> Do a "modprobe -l" to get a list of modules.

or 'lsmod' to see which ones are in the kernel currently.

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.

a word from the sponsor: