tlug: TLUG Server Account Control

Hi,
as you can see from my new signature, the TLUG server has
functioning e-mail accounts and user web pages.  There
are a heck of a lot of programs on the server and we want to
let everyone have access to it.  However, we have a limited
amount of bandwidth, processor and other resources.  Also, we
need some type of control system to prevent abuse of the
accounts.  With the web page access, this could easily get
out of control.

I was talking to Chris Sekiya about the security issue and
we propose that we give shell access to a team of people
working on setting up the server first.  After the server
config team sets things up and sets a usage policy, we open
it up more for the general membership.

Unfortunately, since this is a public mailing list that is
archived, I'm going to disable the guest account until
we take another look at the security issues.

--------

Stuff we've done so far:

  We tried real-time talk using the
   $ talk joem
  command.  This was interesting.

 If you place an index.html file in the sub-directory

   public_html

 it will become the base file for your http://tlug.pht.co.jp/~username
 home page.

The umod is open right now, so be aware of lack of privacy on
files unless you do chmod.

I changed the /etc/motd file to give Pacific HiTech a bit more
publicity.

Regards,
Craig

Re: Future Topics for Meetings

 April 11: Netscape Opensource stuff

  ---

 Perl - PerlTK by Scott Stone, Perl for system admin by Joe Marchak

 RPM and dpkg - by Scott Stone and   Stephen Turnbull

Since there are so many topics, we were thinking of having
a weekday talk and then a nomikai after the talk.   Just an
idea right now.

----
craigoda@example.com      http://tlug.pht.co.jp/~craigoda

a word from the sponsor: