Re: tlug: server config on Sat

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Craig Oda wrote:

> Hi,
> a couple of us are going down to Scott Stone's office, Pacific
> HiTech, developer's of TurboLinux, on Saturday to get Joe Marchak's
> server up and running and hopefully on the net.
>
> We're meeting at noon at umegaoka ticket gate on Saturday 14 March.
>
> This is what Scott has to say:
>
>    "OK.  I'll meet you guys right outside the ticket gate.  It's a small
>    station, there's only one :)
>
>     Make SURE you get on a LOCAL TRAIN -- the semi-express and express do
>    NOT stop at umegaoka!  you can take an express from Shinjuku to
>    Shimokitazawa "

...and then transfer to a local.  This is on the Odakyu line, BTW.

> There's only 16 megs of RAM in the server now, so if you have extra
> RAM, donations are welcome.  Otherwise, it will gave us good practice
> in system admin of a Linux system with limited memory.
>
> The current plan is to walk past a sushi take-out place on the
> way to Scott's office and pick up some sushi to eat at his
> office.  Scott said that a good set was about 500 yen.  If you
> buy a bento, you don't have to pay.
>
> Due to the small space of the office and probable lack of viewable
> access to the screen, don't expect too much.  However, as a big
> part of TLUG is helping others to gain Linux experience, it might
> be interesting to give the config / customization a crack in a
> supervised environment.  I'd rather give a novice a chance to
> set it up even if it takes longer.

well, it should work even with 16 megs.. since we won't be running X.
But, of course, more ram is better.

As for the sushi, the bentos range:

500 yen = negi-toro don - negi-toro, ika, gohan, ikura, and some other
stuff.

that one's my favorite.  There's others for 600 (ie, tekka maki, about
12-15 pcs), 650, 800, 1000, and 1600.  It all depends on what you get.
There's some small ones that are less than 500 too.

> Regards,
> Craig

> "Knowledge is the air and light of civilization.  Transform it and you
> transform all else."
> Craig Oda 	craig@example.com
>    TWICS - IEC Building, 1-21 Yotsuya, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 160 JAPAN
> Main Reception: 03-3351-5977	Fax: +81-3-3353-6096

> Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
> Chuo-ku, Kyobashi 1-1-6, EchiZenYa Bld. B1/B2 03-3275-3691
> Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
> Featuring Tague Griffith of Netscape i18n talking on source code
> a word from the sponsor:
> TWICS - Japan's First Public-Access Internet System
> www.twics.com  info@example.com  Tel:03-3351-5977  Fax:03-3353-6096

               <sstone@example.com>
Linux Developer/Systems Administrator for Pacific HiTech, Inc.