Re: tlug: Mobileless Mice

From: David J Iannucci <dji@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Mobileless Mice
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 00:22:41 +0900

> perhaps the only option left open to
> try is to change the IRQ settings of the serial ports, as
> Joe suggested (next challenge, figure out how to do this :^)

Not sure how new your PC is, but on my PentiumII at the office [just under a
year old] you can set it up through the BIOS setup utility at boot time.
(Mine is a Gateway, with AMI BIOS.   The setting it under ADVANCED ->
PERIPHERAL CONFIGURATION).

Out of the box the comms ports worked in Win95J, but wouldn't work in NT4J, or
DOS applications.    Seems it was set on some weird AUTO CONF setting (I
think sharing an IRQ btwn the ports??) - so I manually set it back to
IRQ4, 0x03F8 for COM1 and IRQ3, 0x02F8 for COM2.   Everything has been fine
since then.

[On older PCs I thought the settings couldn't be changed - but maybe there are
jumpers - depending on the logic board]

Hope that is of some help.
tim :)
Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: