tlug: Re: button challenged three button mouse

Jim Tittsler wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 04, 1998 at 08:34:55PM +0900, Craig Oda wrote:
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   Hmmmm... it was really me who posted this question, but since
there was some problem with majordomo choking on the headers, I
suppose Craig reposted the message to the list for me, but I never
saw his reposting (indeed I wondered how it was that you had seen
my message, Jim...)

> I've just recently run into the same problem with the machine I am using
> here in Singapore.  I discovered that GPM *could* recognize the third
> button, while XF86 could not.  [.......]
> You might check if GPM recognizes the middle button... which will eliminate
> hardware questions from your tracking the problem down.

   Thanks for the answer, Jim, but the problem is more fundamental than
that.  I should have been clearer.  The various 3-button mice I've tried
haven't been recognized _at all_!  The pointer doesn't budge, and the
left and right buttons don't register, either.  It's as though the thing
weren't even connected.

So I'll ask again: has anyone ever seen a case where a perfectly
ordinary generic mouse (in fact 3 or 4 of them, different kinds)
refused entirely to be recognized by XFree86?  If so, were you using
a DIN-to-DB9 adapter at the time?

Thanks again,
Dave

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station