Re: tlug: PAM Pain and ...

    Jim> I read the The Linux-PAM System Administrators' Guide, and I
    Jim> think I understand what it's supposed to do but whenever I
    Jim> change the pam.conf file nothing happens.

It seems that there are two ways to configure it. Via pam.conf and
/etc/pam.d/module, where module is what it requesting authentication,
such as ftp. The pam.conf it the old way, and I think if /etc/pam.d
exists, it is not used...

    Jim> Originally it looked like this: # ftp authorization ftp auth
    Jim> required /lib/security/pam_unix_auth.so ftp password required
    Jim> /lib/security/pam_unix_passwd.so ftp session required
    Jim> /lib/security/pam_unix_session.so

Try adding the "debug" option to the end those parameters. You should
see stuff in /var/log/messages (?) then.