tlug: Linux News

I saw some nice Linux stuff in the news and thought I would share it.
Perhaps the biggest news for TLUG is that on March 7, 1998,
Joe Marchak (joem@example.com) is personally donated his pentium
machine for the TLUG server and bringing it down to Scott Stone's
office, Pacific HiTech, developers of TurboLinux.  Joe's just
going to do the drop off on March 7 and Scott Stone volunteered
to install a bare bones TurboLinux and DNS.  We're thinking of doing
some configuration on March 14.    The configuration date is
just tentative right now.  We have to confirm with Joe and Scott.

A big thanks to Joe Marchak and Scott Stone!

Jan 30 issue of Wired Magazine had a nice blurb about free software.
   http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/9966.html

I especially appreciated the following quote, which matched
my personal view of Linux as a social phenomenon.

   "the real issue is about freedom, or human liberty. So
   it is really freed software.  This freed software is steeped
   in the hacker culture from which it was born. The philosophical
   implication of the Hacker Ethic is that information should be shared,
   so that everyone can benefit from it."

This Feb 5 article in the Boston Globe was also pretty nice
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/036/A_new_tactic_for_browser_war.htm

This section was cool:
    "Linux is the real deal - a robust piece of software designed for
    the kind of power user that Microsoft is targeting with Windows NT.
    Linux has achieved cult status that's starting to rival the
    following for Apple's Macintosh computers. Those who use it love
    it. But unlike the Mac, demand for Linux is booming.
    It's estimated that there are more than 5 million Linux
    computers worldwide, compared with just 1.5 million in 1995.
    Some are run by hobbyists, but many are used by corporations,
    universities, and government agencies."

The Boston Globe is one of the major newspapers in the U.S.

------
craig@example.com
PGP Public Key   http://www.twics.com/~craig/personal/pgp/

Next TLUG Nomikai: 11 March Wed 1998 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 19:30
Next TLUG Meeting: 11 April 1998 Saturday, Tokyo Station
a word from the sponsor: